Useful at present
The following items would be useful at present:
- gift vouchers from Brico, Gamma, Hubo or Ikea.be
- coffee / teas
- tissue boxes / toilet paper
Tilorien monastery residents practice compassion towards all living beings. Therefore, they follow a vegetarian diet. Please do not offer any meat, fish or seafood.
Currently we have plenty of food thanks to your kind donations during the lockdown!
If you don’t know what to donate, these are some things that are regularly used:
- Carbohydrates: Bread, Cereals, Rice, Potatoes, etc.
- Proteins: Soy Products, Dairy Products, Legumes
- Vegetables, Fruit, and Salads
- Bread Spreads, Nuts
- Oil, Salt, Herbs and Spices
- Drinks: Tea, Fruit Juice, Milk and Soy Milk
- Toiletries: Toilet paper, tooth brushes, tooth paste, biodegradable washing liquid, etc.
We have enough of the following:
- White rice
Or choose a veggie box: https://www.hellofresh.be/
Monastics in the Theravada tradition only eat between sunrise and solar noon. In the afternoon, there are some “allowables” or “tonics” which may be consumed. The Vinaya, the rules of conduct for monastics, specifies 5 of these tonics: ghee, fresh butter, oil, honey, or sugar/molasses. Next to these, herbs and spices are also allowed. Therefore, monastics can have things like sweets and dark chocolate in the afternoon if they need it.
Monastery building project
For a list of things needed for our monastery building project click here.