Useful at present
The following items would be useful at present:
- wholegrain cereals
- nuts / seeds
- muesli / cruesli (unsweetened)
- dried fruits
- soy products
- Multivitamins (incl. iron)
- Filters for ventilation system: Ubiflex / Brink Renovent Excellent 300 and 400 – G3 filters (for an example, click here)
- Filters for rainwater recuperation system: Durlem Duplex, both types of filters (for an example, click here)
- gift vouchers from Brico, Gamma, Hubo or Ikea.be
Tilorien monastery residents practice compassion towards all living beings. Therefore, they follow a vegetarian diet. Please do not offer any meat, fish or seafood.
If you don’t know what to donate, these are some things that are regularly used:
- Carbohydrates: Bread, Cereals, Rice, Potatoes, etc.
- Proteins: Soy Products, Dairy Products, Legumes
- Vegetables, Fruit, and Salads
- Bread Spreads, Nuts
- Oil, Herbs and Spices
- Drinks: Tea, Fruit Juice, Milk and Soy Milk
- Toiletries: Toilet paper, tooth brushes, tooth paste, biodegradable washing liquid, etc.
Or choose a veggie box: https://www.hellofresh.be/ with delivery address: Tilorien Monastery, Engreux 49 G, 6663 Mabompré (Houffalize), Tel: 0493-41 28 85. If you take this option, please let our kitchen manager know by writing a message on our contact page so he can plan the meals.
Monastics in the Theravada tradition only eat between sunrise and solar noon. In the afternoon, there are some “allowables” or “tonics” which may be consumed. The Vinaya, the rules of conduct for monastics, specifies 5 of these tonics: ghee, fresh butter, oil, honey, or sugar/molasses. Next to these, herbs and spices are also allowed. Therefore, monastics can have things like sweets and dark chocolate in the afternoon if they need it.